Friday, October 17, 2008

Marshmallow Molecules

This week Gabriel and I studied molecules in Chemistry and I found this extremely interesting since I don't recall even taking Chemisty in school. For the experiment part of the lesson Gabriel made marshmallow molecules, and he let me label them. It was so much fun trying to identify the different atoms that went together to make different substances.

Gabriel and Cali worked on more experiments yesterday. I tried to hang with them, but eventually had to leave the room in order for the future chemists to further their education. I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture of the end results. The mess almost made me faint. So picture this: balsamic vinegar, milk, egg white, sugar, salt, baking soda and lemon juice spread out on the counter. They took samples from each one and mixed it with another to see what kind of, if any, chemical reaction could be observed. Of course the one they liked the best was the vinegar and baking soda, which probably accounted for 60% of the mess. The rest was a bit slimy, so I'm thinking egg white came in a close second.

I am so glad school is over for the week. Another mess like that is likely to put me over the edge.

1 comment:

Christel Stearman said...

Chemistry already!!! That is crazy! Looks like a lot of fun though and broken down like that makes it a lot easier to understand than just looking at pictures of it in a book. Sounds like they had a good time being chemists!!